Creating a tracker
This section explains the steps for creating a tracker and getting the tracking URL. It is used in advertising campaigns to track installations and app openings.
- Step 1. Fill in the campaign details
- Step 2. Configure a SmartLink
- Step 3. (Optional) Configure attribution
- Step 4. (Optional) Configure postbacks
- Step 5. Save changes and test the tracker
- Step 6. Use the created tracking link
Step 1. Fill in the campaign details
In the AppMetrica interface, go to Trackers.
- In the top-left corner, click Create a tracker.
- In the Campaign details block fill in all fields:
- Tracker name — A name for the tracker. After being created, the tracker is available in the list with the specified name.
- Application — The application the tracker is being created for.
- Partner — The media source to attribute clicks, installs, and conversions to.
If the media source isn't in the list, you can add it. After being added, the new source will be saved in the list.Note. Once the tracker has been created, you can't change the media source in the settings.
Step 2. Configure a SmartLink
- Platform — The target platform: Android, iOS, Windows, or Fallback.
Use Fallback to create a destination URL for all other types of traffic. For example, you could send the user to a promo page if they clicked on the link from a desktop PC (or another non-mobile device).Note. You can select only one Fallback platform. Then all users are sent to the specified destination link.
- Destination URL — A link that leads to the app store or a page where the user can install the app.
- Deeplink — A link in the myapp://some_data format which can be used to send data to the application. When the user clicks on it, the app opens, if it is already installed.
- Post-click landing — The page that is opened in the user's browser after clicking the link to install the app. By default, this is an empty page for the tracker's last redirect.
Step 3. (Optional) Configure attribution
Attribution correctly detects the source that attracted users to your app and accurately correlates an app install with a click on an ad.
For more information about attribution methods, see AppMetrica tracking technology.
- Fingerprint — Time interval of attribution (the time between the click and first start). AppMetrica uses it for the Device Fingerprint Matching attribution. The default value is 24 hours.
Acceptable values are from 1 to 24 hours.
- Device ID / Google Referrer — Time interval of attribution, that is used for the Device Identifier Matching attribution. The default value is 10 days.
Acceptable values are from 1 to 10 days.
- Reattribution — Attribution of reinstalls by pre-existing users. This option is disabled by default. For more information, see Attributing app installs.Note. For test devices, reattribution is always enabled (regardless of the option status). For more information about adding test devices, see Testing attribution.
Step 4. (Optional) Configure postbacks
Postbacks are usually necessary when running CPI/CPA campaigns. You can add up to 5 postbacks per tracker.
- Postback destination — The partner who will receive the postback.
If you want to collect your own statistics, you can send the postback to your own server. To do this, add a media source.
- Event — The target event that triggers sending the postback to the media source.
The event may have one of several types:
- Install postback — Send the postback after an attributed install.
- Event postback — Send the postback after an attributed conversion.
Postback URL — A postback link. AppMetrica allows transmitting custom tracking parameters to the postback URL. By default, the postback URL contains parameters from the media source settings. To change the parameters, click Edit (changes will be saved in the media source settings).
You can set the corresponding option to send the postback only for the first target event. All subsequent events will be ignored.Note. Some advertising partners can set a permanent Postback URL for their network. In this case, the postback is sent to the partner regardless of other settings. It can't be edited.
- Re-engagement window — The maximum amount of time that can pass between the install and the target event. A postback won't be sent to the media source if the target event takes more than the specified time.
Step 5. Save changes and test the tracker
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
The list of all saved trackers are in the Trackers section. You can edit and archive them. The statistics from archived trackers remain available in reports.
- Test the tracker before launching an advertising campaign. For more information, see Testing a tracker.
Step 6. Use the created tracking link
target= " _blank"attribute when inserting a link into the markup. Some browsers may block the click-through when opening a link in a new window.
Don't place the link in the
Use the tracking URL in an ad campaign after successful testing. To do this, copy from the Tracking URL block the link that looks like:
For more information, see Parameters of the tracking URL.